How to Make His Parents Like You!
Since romance comic books were centered on the romantic plights of teens and young women, parents frequently played an integral part in the outcome of the stories. So, it is no surprise that articles such as the following, "How to Make His Parents Like You!" appeared in Falling in Love #116 (July 1970) to dispense advice to lovelorn readers.
Just in case you are meeting your date's parents in just a few -- here are some highlights from the article. You too can make the parental units swoon!
- "Don't expect to be taken places that force him to ask his parents for additional allowance."
- "Guard against perspiration."
- "Avoid looking cheap."
- "Always stand up when an older person first enters the room."
- "Keep your voice moderately low."
- "Don't gossip. It's cheap and in bad taste."
- "Avoid slang and hippy expressions."
Despite some of the obvious and funny tips (wear deodorant) and the rather old-fashioned and clinical sounding, "Planning your wedding, dreaming of your future home, improving your homemaking skills and thinking of ways to please your future husband are some of the joys you will be experiencing." -- the advice isn't half bad for any situation you may find yourself in!